Yes, I had Covid-19 and it was horrific.

 Recommended by CapeTownInsider

It has been exactly 3 months since I woke up knowing I had the Covid-19 virus. Well strongly suspected is probably the better word to use. It was a Sunday morning and I remember opening my eyes trying to remember how much alcohol I had consumed the previous evening. My head was pounding, my body sore, my throat dry and scratchy, everything inside of me felt like it was dying. As I sat up collecting my thoughts I realised, I was unable to consume more than half of my cider the previous night because I didn't feel well and went to bed early. The half-empty cider on my kitchen counter and 5 full ciders in my fridge confirmed my theory, this wasn't a hangover. 

It wasn't long before the chills started. I don't get cold, if I am cold then you know it is FREEZING outside, it was the middle of winter and I still only had my one duvet on my bed. These chills were so severe I added three blankets to my bed, full winter pyjamas and socks yet the cold would not go away. I slept through most of the day in the hope that it would pass but by 5pm I knew this wasn't just your average flu. I live alone with a pet so there was no one to care for me physically or phone anyone on my behalf, I was going to have to face this virus alone. 

I called my father told him of my suspicions and as any good father would do instructed me to write down the numbers of an ambulance, a family member living close by and his number. In case of emergency during the night I wouldn't have to look for any contact details I could just pick up the phone and call for help. Later that night close family members brought me OTC meds, some food and a thermometer handed over the gate with concerned faces I knew this was going to be a lonely couple of days (days? wishful thinking). Thank God for Doctors who use online appointment bookings so I was able to make an appointment before falling asleep still hoping that the next day I would feel better.

Cutting to the chase, due to backlog I needed to wait 2 days to be tested and 4 more days for my results. By the time the results confirmed I had the virus I was in the peak of illness. I am in my late twenties with no comorbidities, overweight but not obese and really quite healthy. I even had the flu vaccination this year for the first time in my life. So according to my research, it was supposed to be just like the common yearly flu. Heh, was I in for a nasty surprise! I took all the precautions, sanitised everything even my groceries, stayed at home ALONE for 62 days only making essential supply runs, at school, we were extremely careful and the grades I was teaching wasn't back yet so I was helping out in the office. I did everything "right".

My symptoms included: a horrific sounding dry cough, sore throat, intense body aches, a permanent headache that felt like it exploded into my head from the brainstem with even the slightest movement I made. I was barely able to breathe it was as if there was someone sitting on my chest not allowing me to inhale enough oxygen. It took me 5 min to move from my bed to the bathroom, gasping for air as I went along. Taking breaks as if I was in a marathon. I had no appetite at all but I was always thirsty. Diarrhoea and intense vertigo started on day 14. By then the sore throat and cough had subsided however the heaviness in my chest, headache and body ache was still present. I was booked off for 21 days. On day 18 I started to feel like a human again. I was able to walk around in my garden for 5 min without having to stop and rest (granted it isn't very big). What caught me off-guard with this virus was the extreme mood swings I was having, at the time I thought that this was just because of my being alone. However, having spoken to some colleagues who had contracted the virus at the around the same time as me we came to the realisation that we had all suffered from bouts of depression and extreme tearfulness/crying which we had no control over. 

The weeks following my recovery from the virus was tough, the constant nagging headache, back pain and exhaustion from doing menial tasks like washing dishes, doing laundry or trying to teach a class. The toughest, ongoing challenge that I have to face is the isolation from friends and family. According to science, I have recovered fully however according to some friends and family I am still infected, contagious, a risk to them. 

Shit, I am still in isolation and I am still alone. At least that's how my mind makes it seem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I, independently, checked myself in and out of the hospital, alone.

The First Truth